Course Number and Level:
106.P2F3 – Introductory
What is PRINCE2?
PRINCE (Projects in Controlled Environments) was first developed by the UK Government in 1989 as the standard method for information technology (IT) project management. Since then, the method has been enhanced (PRINCE2) and proven to be an excellent generic, best practice approach suitable for the management of all types of projects.
Who uses PRINCE2?
There is rapidly growing international interest in PRINCE2 and it is now in use with global organizations such as Sun Microsystems, DHL, and the UN Development Program. It is recognized as industry best practice by leading vendors such as Microsoft, HP, and IBM. PRINCE2 is designed to incorporate the requirements and experiences of users from around the world.
Benefits of PRINCE2
What is the Foundation exam?
Duration – 1 hour
Style – simple multiple choice
75 questions, pass mark is 50%
Pass rate is approximately 99%
What is the Practitioner exam?
Duration – 2.5 hours
Style – objective testing – sophisticated multiple choice
9 questions, 108 marks, pass mark is 55%
Pass rate is approximately 85%
How do I take the PRINCE2 exams?
PRINCE2 exams are included in the training course schedule and cost.
How long does the PRINCE2 Practitioner qualification last?
Certification lasts for 5 years. After this you are required to take a one-hour, re-registration exam.
PRINCE2 and PMBOK® Guide
- The PMBOK is not a methodology; it is the "sum of knowledge within the profession of project management" (PMBOK Guide, 3rd Edition, p3)
- PRINCE2 is a step-by-step methodology, which applies this project management knowledge
- The PMBOK is descriptive; it covers what a project manager should know
- PRINCE2 is prescriptive; it covers what a project manager should do
- PRINCE2 and PMBOK are complimentary. Combined, they provide both the knowledge and skills to complete projects successfully.